Given the evolving COVID-19 situation in the ACT and surrounding region, health care facilities in the ACT have made precautionary changes to keep our most vulnerable patients safe and to further protect staff and visitors.
Non-urgent care to cease from Monday 16 August 2021
From Monday 16 August, all non-urgent, non-essential and non-admitted care will be reduced. Patients will be contacted by staff over the coming days to cancel appointments, however if you wish to cancel your own appointment please refer to the online cancellation form.
Surgical face masks
Surgical face masks are now mandatory at all health facilities across Canberra, including hospitals, community health centres and walk-in centres.
Masks will be handed out at all screening points on entry to the facility and you must wear a new mask each day.
Masks may be removed in the following circumstances (while maintaining 1.5m distance wherever possible):
- While eating and drinking
- While communicating with another person who is deaf or hard of hearing
- If wearing a mask creates a risk to health and safety, or security
- Where clear enunciation or visibility of your mouth is essential
- Where the removal of a face mask is necessary for the provision of a good or service
Mask-wearing is not required for:
- persons aged under 12 years old
- Anyone with a disability or physical or mental health illness or condition that makes wearing a face mask unsuitable. For example, a skin condition, an intellectual disability, autism or trauma.
If you are a patient, visitor or carer and have any questions or concerns, please speak to your treating team or someone on the ward.
Visitor restrictions are currently in place at all hospitals, community health centres and walk-in centres in the ACT.
The decision to continue to restrict visitors to our health facilities is always a difficult one, but it ensures we can protect the health and safety of everyone. This is especially necessary for our most vulnerable, particularly patients whose health is already compromised.
The visitor policy includes:
- As at 5pm 12 August 2021, no visitors are permitted to enter Canberra Health Services facilities unless in exceptional circumstances such as end of life, birthing or for paediatric care.
- Visitors are strongly encouraged to keep in touch with patients at CHS facilities via phone and/or video calls.
All COVID-19 safe principles and behaviours continue to apply to all visitors.
We understand this is difficult news, but it is necessary to keep everyone as safe as possible.
We are constantly reviewing these difficult restrictions and will make changes as soon as it is safe to do so.
Please make sure you complete a digital screening tool before entering a health facility in the ACT.
You can access the tool via the ACT Health app or online at screening.covid19.act.gov.au, or by scanning the QR code you will see displayed at various locations around health services.
Surgical masks are available at screening points upon entering our facilities.
COVID-19 safe behaviour
This is a timely reminder that we must remain vigilant to the threat of COVID-19 and ensure we are observing all COVID-safe behaviours.
Please maintain physical distancing, wear a surgical mask and practice good hand hygiene protocols.
For more information visit: www.covid19.act.gov.au