We heard from mums and mums-to-be that it’s not always clear what to do when you first find out you’re having a baby and it’s tricky to find out about all public birthing options are available to you. That’s why we’ve introduced Canberra Maternity Options.
Before choosing how you would like to be cared for during your pregnancy and birth, you’ll need to meet with a midwife close to home between 10 to 12 weeks. You will need to meet with a midwife even if this is not your first birth or if you have already decided which model of pregnancy care you’d like.
During your first appointment, the midwife will ask you a number of questions, including:
- your health and medical history
- your personal preferences of how you would like to be cared for during your pregnancy and birth.
The health and wellbeing assessment and discussion will help the midwife identify what suitable pregnancy care and birthing options are available for you to choose from.
If your GP identifies risk factors while confirming your pregnancy, they may refer you directly to the Fetal Medicine Unit.
We encourage you to read up on what pregnancy and care options are available before meeting with the midwife.
Your first meeting with a midwife will be close to home at one of the following locations, including:
- Lanyon: 23 Sidney Nolan Street, Conder
- Tuggeranong: 159 Anketell Street, Greenaway
- Kambah: 37 Kingsmill Street, Kambah
- Phillip: 17 Corinna Street, Phillip
- Narrabundah: 23 – 27 Kootara Crescent, Narrabundah
- Belconnen: 56 Lathlain Street, Belconnen
- Florey: 57 Ratcliffe Crescent, Florey
- West Belconnen: 9 Luke Street, Holt
- Lyneham Primary School: Brigalow Street, Lyneham
- Gungahlin: 51 Ernest Cavanagh Street, Gungahlin
- Ngunnawal: 103 Wanganeen Avenue, Ngunnawal