Family centred care means:
- you are always welcome at your baby’s bedside
- our staff take every opportunity to help you bond and care for your baby
- you are encouraged to participate in bedside rounds
- you are encouraged to learn about your baby
- you are a part of your baby’s treating team
- our staff teach you how to read your baby’s behaviour and respond appropriately
Family centred rounds give you the opportunity to speak with your baby’s medical team and participate in their healthcare. If you have any questions about your baby’s care or anything said during rounds, please talk to your baby’s nurse.
The medical staff also participate in rounds every morning to discuss your baby’s status and progress. We encourage you to be at your baby’s bedside during these rounds and ask any brief questions about their condition. Please leave more complex questions for individual meetings with your doctor.
Family Meetings are held to discuss your baby’s condition, progress and plan of care in more detail.
If you need a family meeting, your nurse can make the arrangements.
We encourage you not to wait until a family meeting to ask questions about your baby’s care—your doctor is available to speak with at any time.