Social workers work with patients and their families/carers to help resolve challenges they face by building positive relationships, promoting empowerment and maximising independence. Social workers:
- identify issues and risks and put in place a plan
- provide counselling and emotional support for issues such as adjustment to illness and disability, loss and grief, relationship stress and mental health issues
- help solve challenges people face, including social, financial, legal and emotional issues
- support vulnerable people to navigate and communicate their needs within the hospital system
- provide advice, information and/or referral pathways for practical and social issues
- advocate for patients where service gaps are identified
Patients and their families are able to request a review by contacting the UCH Social Work Department on 02 5124 0277.