Social workers work with patients and their families/carers to help resolve challenges they face by building positive relationships, promoting empowerment and maximising independence. Social workers:
- identify issues and risks and put in place a plan
- provide counselling and emotional support for issues such as adjustment to illness and disability, loss and grief, relationship stress and mental health issues
- help solve challenges people face, including social, financial, legal and emotional issues
- support vulnerable people to navigate and communicate their needs within the hospital system
- provide advice, information and/or referral pathways for practical and social issues
- advocate for patients where service gaps are identified
Patients at the University of Canberra Hospital on Majura and Stromlo wards are routinely seen by social workers and patients on Namadgi and Cotter wards are referred to a social worker. Patients and their families are able to request a review by contacting the UCH Social Work Department on 02 5124 0277.