- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 125g red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon salt reduced tomato paste
- 2 or 3 sprigs parsley, chopped
Approx 30-40 min. Serves 4
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add carrots, potato, parsnip and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, stock and tomato paste. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When lentils are cooked, add parsley.
- Serve with wholegrain or wholemeal bread roll.
One teaspoon of dried herbs may be substituted for fresh herbs.
Family Eating Tip
Model healthy eating in your home. Show your child you enjoy eating vegetables by including them in meals and snacks.