- 500g skinless chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 x 400g can peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 pitted kalamata olives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh (flat-leaf) or dried parsley
Approx 40-50 min. Serves 4
- Heat oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add chicken, cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan, set aside.
- Add onion, celery and carrots to the pan. Cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock, scraping the base of the pan. Add tomatoes, mushrooms and lemon juice and bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken to the pan, cover and simmer over low heat for approximately 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir through parsley and olives.
- Serve with mashed potato, pasta or rice.
Add chilli flakes for extra heat/flavour.
Family Eating Tip
Larger serve sizes may be needed for children and teens who are taller or more active.