- 500 gram chuck steak (diced trimmed of fat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 parsnip (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 litre beef stock (salt reduced)
- 1 litre water
- 2 zucchini (diced)
- 400 gram can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Parsley (to serve)
- Toss beef in oil, heat a wide saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat and brown beef in 2 batches. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, celery, carrot, parsnip, tomatoes and barley. Add beef stock and 1L water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until beef and barley are tender. Add zucchini and kidney beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Add frozen peas for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve in large bowls with fresh chopped parsley.
Page last updated on: 17 Sep 2019