The ACT Government’s expanded advisory body to improve our public health system and deliver better care for Canberrans met for the first time this week.
The ACT Health System Council will provide advice on matters referred by the Minister for Health, the Minister for Mental Health, the ACT Health Directorate and Canberra Health Services.
The council will advise on services planning, redesign and integration, as well as workforce optimisation and safety and quality in healthcare.
It will build on the successes of the ACT Health and Wellbeing Partnership Board by expanding membership to include representatives from the community sector, industrial representatives, and health system experts from Australia and internationally.
It is led by independent chair Dr Nigel Lyons, a highly experienced advisor with more than 35 years’ experience in the NSW health system as a clinician, manager and executive. Dr Lyons has previously been responsible for strategic health policy development, interjurisdictional negotiations, funding strategies and system-wide planning of health services, including mental health.
He will work alongside 13 other members who bring a diversity of experience in health or health-related fields.
The other members of the council are:
- Rebecca Cross, Director-General, ACT Health
- Dave Peffer, CEO, Canberra Health Services
- Dr Elaine Pretorius, General Manager of North Canberra Hospital and Chair of ACT Health Clinical Systems Governance Committee
- Professor Russell Gruen, Dean of the College of Health and Medicine, Australian National University
- Professor Michelle Lincoln, Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic and Vice President, University of Canberra
- Stacy Leavens, CEO, Capital Health Network
- Lauren Anthes, CEO, Women’s Health Matters
- Matt Sharp, CEO, Goulburn Valley Health
- Darlene Cox, Executive Director, Health Care Consumers’ Association
- Tom Cullen, Legal Counsel, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation
- Donna Murray, CEO and Company Secretary, Indigenous Allied Health Australia Ltd
- Maddy Northam, Regional Secretary of the Community and Public Sector Union, and the President of Unions ACT
- Professor Eugene Soh, CEO of Tock Seng Hospital and Central Health Deputy Group CEO, Integrated Care, National Healthcare Group, Singapore