Do you think a practice or process in your workplace can or should be improved? Do you want to make change happen and you need support? Consider applying for a Practice Development Scholarship (PDS) with SYNERGY!
The purpose of the PDS is to support Nurses and Midwives to undertake practice or process improvement projects within their work areas. It is essential that recipients receive ongoing support for the project from their direct supervisor, Director of Nursing or Midwifery and an academic mentor.
The aims of the PDS are to:
- Increase the evidence base of nursing and midwifery practice.
- Support practice or process improvements in the clinical area
- Improve outcomes for health service users.
Who can apply for a PDS?
- Nurses and midwives permanently employed or on long term contract with ACT Health (includes staff at Calvary Hospital Bruce).
How can the PDS be utilized?
- The scholarship money is primarily intended to pay for back filling of recipients’ positions to allow them to undertake the project within the 12 month period.
- It may also be used to pay for conference registration and/or poster development and printing, or other expenses directly related to the project aims.
- It is very important that the project budget is discussed regularly between the project leader, DON/M and financial delegate, and definitely before the end of the financial year June 2019.
PD Project Academic mentors
Role of the mentor:
- To become part of the project team
- To attend and contribute to the PDS workshops
- To provide guidance, support and advice to the project lead (who must be an ACT Health employee)
- To work with the ideas of the project lead and guide the development of a feasible practice development proposal.
- Consider projects for instance that will not necessitate HREC approval or will require no more than low risk HREC approval.
- To support the project lead and other team members to develop skills in leadership, project management and practice development.
- Meet with the project lead and other team members on a regular basis.
- To assist with progressing the project to successful completion.
- To support the project lead and team members in dissemination of project results.
- To co-author any papers/presentations for publication with project lead as first author.
- To review and approve progress and final reports
Applying for a Practice Development Scholarship is a two step process. First step is to submit an expression of interest. Step two is to take into account the feedback from the panel on EOI submitted and in conjunction with your academic mentor submit a full application.
What is required in an expression of interest?
- A very brief summary of the project
- Details of academic mentor (if available) or skills the applicant is seeking for an academic mentor
What is required in an application?
Your project proposal will include:
- An outline of what you want to improve and the reasons why it needs to be improved.
- A clear description of the process/method to be used.
- A realistic scope and time frame for achieving the project aims within the PDS year.
- A realistic budget request and justification.
- Likelihood that the project outcomes will be sustained beyond the project period.
- A plan to disseminate results and experiences to others.
- Outcomes that have the potential to be transferable to other units, teams or settings.
- The likelihood of any ethical issues within the project will be discussed with successful applicants at Workshop 1 at the beginning of the scholarship period.
Next round of PDS EOI’s open on 15 February 2019 and are due by COB on 13 March to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note late applications will not be accepted.
Download the attached EOI form or contact SYNERGY via email email@example.com for forms or for further information.
PDS application form
PDS information, guidelines and timeline