The summary below should be read in accordance with the ACT Health Medical Staff Certified Agreement 2005-2008 and the ACT Health Rights of Private Practice for Specialists and Senior Specialists Rules.
Please Note: the ACT Health Rights of Private Practice for Specialists and Senior Specialists Rules is pending final approval and isn’t available at this time.
- specialists have a right of private practice as a condition of their employment
- unless they elects otherwise, new specialists begin on Scheme A and remain there for up to 12 months before they must elect to move to Scheme B or Scheme C
- individual specialists or groups are entitled to remain on Scheme A if management identifies their difficulty to bill private patients because of the nature of their discipline
- specialists can move between Schemes only in accordance with the Rules
- specialist must pay all private practice fees to the Territory in accordance with the rights of private practice
- the Territory must make contributions to the private practice fund in accordance with the Rules
- specialists and other employees of ACT Health can apply to their relevant private practice funds administration committee for payments that have certain purposes, including professional development activities and research
You can view the Territory’s private practice payments under each Scheme below.