In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
Call Mental Health Triage on
1800 629 354
(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or
For a poison emergency in Australia call
13 11 26
Drug and Alcohol Help Line
The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on
Health Protection Service
For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:
02 5124 9700
24 hour health advice
1800 022 222
ACT State Emergency Service
during flood or storms
1. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). Cancer in Australia 2021. Canberra: AIHW; 2021 [cited 2022 Apr 6]. Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/cancer/cancer-in-australia-2021/data.
2. ACT Cancer Registry. Canberra: ACT Cancer Registry; 2022 (unpublished data).
3. AIHW. Cancer Incidence Projections: Australia, 2011 to 2020. Cancer Series no. 66. Cat. No. CAN 62. Canberra: AIHW; 2012. [cited 2022 Jun 10]. Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/a79de4a1-49f5-4c93-bc59-4d181430aa69/14096.pdf.aspx?inline=true.
4. Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). Life Tables, States, Territories and Australia, 2015-2017. Canberra: ABS; 2019 [cited 2022 Apr 6]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3302.0.55.001Main+Features12015-2017?OpenDocument=.
5. ABS. Life Tables, States, Territories and Australia, 2014-2016. Canberra: ABS; 2018 [cited 2022 Apr 6]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3302.0.55.001Main+Features12014-2016?OpenDocument=.
6. ABS. Life Tables, States, Territories and Australia, 2013-2015. Canberra: ABS; 2017 [cited 2022 Apr 6]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3302.0.55.001Main+Features12013-2015?OpenDocument=.
7. ABS. Life Tables, States, Territories and Australia, 2012-2014. Canberra: ABS; 2016 [cited 2022 Apr 6]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3302.0.55.001Main+Features12012-2014?OpenDocument=.
8. ABS. Life Tables, States, Territories and Australia, 2011-2013. Canberra: ABS; 2015 [cited 2022 Apr 6]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3302.0.55.001Main+Features12011-2013?OpenDocument=.
9. Loeb S, Bjurlin MA, Nicholson J, et al. Overdiagnosis and overtreatment of prostate cancer. Eur Urol 2014; 65(6): 1046-1055.
10. Pathirana T, Hayen A, Doust J, et al. Lifetime risk of prostate cancer overdiagnosis in Australia: quantifying the risk of overdiagnosis associated with prostate cancer screening in Australia using a novel lifetime risk approach. BMJ Open. 2019; 9(3):e022457.
11. Fenton JJ, Weyrich MS, Durbin S, et al. Prostate-Specific Antigen–Based Screening for Prostate Cancer: Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2018; 319(18):1914–1931.
The authors wish to thank the Registries of Births, Deaths and Marriages, the Coroners and the National Coronial Information System for enabling the cause of death unit record file data to be used for this publication.