On 10 September 2018, the Minister for Health and Wellbeing announced the establishment of an Independent Review into the Workplace Culture within ACT Public Health Services.
The Review was established to explore:
- the workplace culture of public healthcare services in the ACT including:
- the Canberra Hospital
- Calvary Public Hospital
- Health Directorate
- Canberra Health Services
- what is working well, including examples of best practice workplace culture
- ideas for how we can improve workplace culture
- workforce policies including complaints/management processes
- claims made in relation to inappropriate conduct and behaviours.
The Terms of Reference for the Review required the Independent Panel to provide their final report to the Minister for Health and Wellbeing by 30 March 2019. The final report was released by the Minister on 7 March 2019.
The Interim Report (released on 1 February 2019) is also available.
The Report made 20 recommendations which have been accepted in-principle by ACT Government.
Culture Review Oversight Group
The Culture Review Oversight Group has been established to drive the implementation of all recommendations of the review and ensure a strong governance framework for the territory-wide response.
The Group’s membership includes:
- Minister for Health (Chair)
- Minister for Mental Health
- Director-General of the ACT Health Directorate
- Chief Executive Officer of Canberra Health Services
- Regional Chief Executive Officer of Calvary ACT
- Regional Secretary of the Community and Public Sector Union
- Branch Secretary of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ACT)
- President of the Australia Medical Association (ACT)
- Executive Director of the Health Care Consumers Association (ACT)
- President of the Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation (ACT)
- President of the Visiting Medical Officers Association (ACT)
- Dean, College of Health and Medicine, Australian National University
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Health, University of Canberra
The Culture Review Oversight Group meets quarterly. You can read the Meeting Communique for more information:
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference - Culture Review Oversight Group
If you have any questions about the Independent Review or the implementation process for the recommendations email CultureReviewImplementation@act.gov.au
Culture Review Implementation Commitment
Leaders of the ACT public health system in May 2019 holding their Culture Review Implementation Commitment document. (Left to Right): Ms Bernadette McDonald, Chief Executive Officer, Canberra Health Services; Ms Meegan Fitzharris, Former Minister for Health and Wellbeing MLA (Chair); Mr Shane Rattenbury, Minister for Mental Health MLA (Deputy Chair); Ms Barbara Reid, ACT Regional Chief Executive Officer, Calvary, ACT; and Mr Michael De’Ath, Director-General, ACT Health Directorate.
Members of the Culture Review Oversight Group holding their commitment certificate on 4 September 2019
Members of the Culture Review Oversight Group holding their commitment certificate on 4 September 2019 (Left to Right): Professor Russell Gruen, Dean, College of Health and Medicine ANU; Mr Matthew Daniel, Branch Secretary ANMF ACT; Ms Madeline Northam, Regional Secretary CPSU; Dr Peter Hughes, President, VMOA ACT; Ms Rachel Stephen-Smith, Minister for Health MLA (Chair); Dr Richard Singer, President, ASMOF ACT; Ms Darlene Cox, Exec Director, HCCA ACT; Dr Antonio Di Dio, President, AMA ACT; and Professor Michelle Lincoln, Executive Dean, Faculty of Health, UC.