Mental Health and Wellbeing in the ACT
See this latest report into mental health wellbeing and resilience in the ACT.
Stressful life events, high job insecurity and strain, and financial hardship were among the most significant contributing factors to poor mental wellbeing.
The ‘Mental Health and Wellbeing in the ACT’ report showcases results from the Personality and Total Health (PATH) Through Life Project, which studied residents of Canberra and Queanbeyan over the last 12 years.
Higher levels of physical activity were found to be associated with better mental health while those undertaking a moderate level of volunteer work were also found to maintain wellbeing.
While a majority of Canberra residents experience good mental health, younger adults, particularly younger women, and carers of another with a disability were also found to be vulnerable.
The ACT Government has a strong commitment to the promotion of mental health and wellbeing, the prevention of mental illness and suicide and the provision of early intervention for those experiencing mental illness.
Since 2001, the ACT Government has increased recurrent spending on mental health from $27.4 million in 2001 - 2002, to $77.8 million in 2009 - 2010, an increase of 183%.
The 2011-12 Budget includes $1 million annually for service expansion.
|Download:||Mental Health and Wellbeing in the ACT - Personality and Total Health (PATH) Through Life Project (PDF File - 1516k)|
In this section:
- Annual Reports
- Citizen's Jury on Health Priorities 2010
- Review of Public Maternity Units in the ACT
- Chief Health Officer Reports
- ACT Surgery Report Card
- Calvary Public Hospital Options
- Elective Surgery Waiting List Reduction Plan
- Health Status of Young People in the ACT 2011
- Maternity care intention, duration and rates of breastfeeding
- Scores on Doors Regulatory Impact Statement
- ACT Public Health Services Quarterly Performance Report
- National Partnership Agreement (NPA)
- Alcohol and other drug reports
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander on Pathology Forms
- Burnet Institute Report
- Cervical Cytology Register Statistical Report 2008
- Emergency Department Information System Data Integrity Summary Report
- HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, Sexually Transmissible Infections Strategic Framework for the ACT 2007-2012
- Waiting Lists for Elective Surgery and Medical Treatment