Burnet Institute Report
The Burnet Institute Report - External component of the evaluation of drug policies and services and their subsequent effects on prisoners and staff within the Alexander Maconochie Centre - is an independent evaluation of drug policies and services at the Alexander Maconochie Centre.
The report acknowledges the importance of continuous quality improvements in delivering important health services to some of our most at risk members of the community.
Background to the Burnet Institute Report
Meeting the health and wellbeing needs of our detainees presents distinct challenges.
Most of our detainees have complex health histories - 91 percent of surveyed inmates reported a lifetime use of illicit drugs, with two-thirds of those having a heroin addiction.
Three quarters of respondents reported that their current prison sentence was related to drugs and 79 per cent reported that they were affected by drugs when they committed the relevant offence.
While the Report acknowledges that the ACT Corrections Health Program and Forensic Mental Health counselling services are providing effective services and activities for the inmates, it also demonstrates that there is more work to be done.
The Government is committed to undertaking this further work, as indicated in its Final Response to the Report.
|Download:||Burnet Institute Report (PDF File - 1350k)|
Burnet Institute Report - Erratum (PDF File - 150k)
Burnet Institute Report - Final Government Response (PDF File - 752k)
In this section:
- ACT Public Health Services Quarterly Performance Report
- Chief Health Officer Reports
- National Partnership Agreement (NPA)
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander on Pathology Forms
- ACT Surgery Report Card
- Cervical Cytology Register Statistical Report 2008
- Emergency Department Information System Data Integrity Summary Report
- HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, Sexually Transmissible Infections Strategic Framework for the ACT 2007-2012
- Mental Health and Wellbeing in the ACT
- Scores on Doors Regulatory Impact Statement
- Annual Reports
- Citizen's Jury on Health Priorities 2010
- Review of Public Maternity Units in the ACT
- ACT Healthcare Survey
- Calvary Public Hospital Options
- Elective Surgery Waiting List Reduction Plan
- Health Status of Young People in the ACT 2011
- Maternity care intention, duration and rates of breastfeeding
- Waiting Lists for Elective Surgery and Medical Treatment