Refurbishments and Relocations
In addition to the major projects of the Health Infrastructure Program, a large number of smaller yet not insignificant projects are also being undertaken across ACT Health.
These projects involve the relocation or expansion of existing services; the relocation of office accommodation; and the upgrading of essential infrastructure such as lifts, boilers, chillers fire and emergency systems, water, gas, electrical and data cabling services.
In broad terms, this group of projects are often referred to as being parts of the 'big jigsaw puzzle' that ultimately allows the major projects of the Health Infrastructure Program to continue in sequence.
Examples of these projects, primarily on the Canberra Hospital campus, include:
- six additional beds on Level 7 of Building 1 at Canberra Hospital
- additional beds on Level 8 and Level 9 of Building 1 at Canberra Hospital
- a new 8-bed Medi-Hotel which offers on-campus accommodation to eligible people who do not require hospital admission before, during or after their treatment.
- redesign of central outpatients department
- redesign and refurbishment of the Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit
- expansion of Hospital in the Home to include one additional bed
- relocation of the Discharge Lounge from Level 7 of Building 1 to Level 2 of Building 1. This also provides for four additional spaces
- four additional nurse-led treatment bays in the Canberra Hospital Emergency Department
- relocation of Peritoneal Dialysis from Level 8 of Building 1 to Gaunt Place
- refurbishment works on Level 5 of Building 1
- refurbishment works on Levels 4 and 10 of Building 1
- re-use of the old Psychiatric Services Unit Building 15)
- new Cryogenic Store
- upgrade of major plant throughout ACT Health, including lift upgrades, installation of new boilers and chillers, and essential infrastructure works
- redesign and refurbishment of the old ESA building in Curtin to provide expanded office accommodation for ACT Health staff required to relocate from the Canberra Hospital campus and other locations
The combined result of these upgrade, expansion and relocation projects is improved infrastructure and facilities, better use of available space, and the continued expansion of services to meet current and future demand for health care services.
Management of this group of projects is undertaken by ACT Health staff employed in an area that oversees Strategic Accommodation, Capital Upgrade Projects, and Staging and Decanting.
For more information about these Health Infrastructure Program projects email: HIP@act.gov.au