Private Practice Information
Specialist Medical Officers - Private Practice Arrangements
- The below summary should be read Pursuant to the "ACT Health Medical Staff Certified Agreement 2005-2008" and the "ACT Health Rights of Private Practice For Specialists and Senior Specialists Rules" (Note: this document is pending final approval and is not yet available).
- As a condition of the Specialist's employment, the Specialist has a right of private practice.
- Unless a new Specialist elects otherwise, they will commence on Scheme A and then remain on Scheme A for up to 12 months before they must elect to move to Scheme B or Scheme C.
- Where management identifies an individual specialist or specialist group that finds it difficult to bill private patients because of the nature of the discipline, that individual specialist or group will be entitled to remain on Scheme A.
- Specialists may move between Schemes only in accordance with the Rules.
- The Specialist must pay over to the Territory all private practice fees generated pursuant to the rights of private practice.
- The Territory must make contributions to the private practice fund in accordance with the Rules.
- Specialists and other employees of ACT Health are eligible to apply to the relevant administration committee administering the private practice funds for payments for certain purposes such as professional development activities and research.
- The private practice payment payable to the Specialist by the Territory under each Scheme is set out as follows.
Scheme A - Private Practice Payments
- Scheme A Specialists will be paid a private practice payment equal to 20% of the Specialist's base salary including allowances (pro rated for part-time Specialists).
- The Specialist will also be entitled to an additional payment of $0.50 for every dollar of private practice revenue generated by the Specialist exceeding an amount equivalent to 10% but not exceeding 30% of the Specialist's base salary.
Scheme B - Private Practice Payments
- Scheme B Specialists will be paid a private practice payment of $1.00 for every dollar of private practice revenue generated by the Specialist exceeding the threshold applicable to the Specialist's speciality but not exceeding an amount equivalent to 50% of the Specialist's base salary.
- If the Specialist does not generate private practice fees in excess of 20% of his or her salary, the Specialist will still be entitled to a payment equivalent to the amount of fees generated.
Scheme C - Private Practice Payments
- This Scheme is available to Specialists who have been granted leave without pay for 25% of the time worked by full-time specialist medical officers. For the purposes of this Scheme those Specialists will be regarded as full time.
- Scheme C Specialists will be paid a private practice payment of $1.00 for every dollar of private practice revenue generated by the Specialist exceeding the threshold applicable to the Specialist's speciality but not exceeding an amount equivalent to 133% of the Specialist's base salary.