At ACT Health we work with education providers to offer quality clinical placements.
This partnership is formalised by a Deed of Agreement that clearly states the arrangement between ACT Health, tertiary and vocational institutions, students and trainees. Education institutions must sign a Deed and course specific Schedule before offering a student placement. All placements are arranged through the CPO. Education providers should plan for this well in advance, as executing a Deed or Schedule is time consuming and involves:
- reviewing documents and the agreement which may involve legal consultation
- signatures from senior organisation representatives
- delivery of the original documents between parties
Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health placements
Please contact the CPO for initial placement information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 6207 8169.
Please contact the Australian National University Medical School at email@example.com
Placement time frames
Education providers must submit a formal request through SPO no later than 8 weeks before a placement is due to start.
No later than 4 weeks before a placement, education providers need to upload student or trainee information to SPO, including:
- names and contact details
- confirmation of National Police Checks
- confirmation of Working With Vulnerable People cards
- confirmation of required level of immunity
- confirmation of current manual handling training
Please Note: Education providers should thoroughly check documents before uploading to SPO. By confirming completion, education providers are legally responsible. Documents don’t need to be sent to the CPO directly, but must be available if required. Please ensure students and trainees know about and understand the requirements of ACT Health as set out in the Deed.
If a student or trainee has a positive Police or WWVP check or has issues with their immunity, please contact the CPO as soon as possible.
The CPO charges a fee for cancellations or amendments requested after student details are uploaded to SPO up to the first day of placement.
For Clinical Facilitators
Clinical facilitators are welcome at ACT Health facilities and need to comply with the same requirements as students.
Education providers will need to:
- request facilitator access to ACT Health facilities through SPO
- notify ACT Health if the facilitator needs extended access
- upload facilitator details and enter their EP staff number in the student number column
Once this is done, the facilitator will receive an automated email with their SPO login details.
Facilitators with access to Canberra Hospital and Health Services (CHHS) and Calvary Healthcare need an ACT Health ID card.
All staff supervising or managing students should be familiar with the following policies: