HP3 Personal Upgrade Scheme
Health Professional Level 3 Personal Upgrade Scheme for the Recognition of Excellence
The HP3 Upgrade Scheme seeks to recognise and reward the efforts of eligible Health Professional Level 3 staff who have achieved excellence in skills and competence through post-graduate study, research, project management, education and/or skill acquisition relevant to their profession and service.
Successful applicants are rewarded via salary advancement to HP3 Pay Point 4 and one year later to Pay Point 5.
The HP3 Personal Upgrade Scheme was developed in 2006 in partnership with health professionals to recognise and reward those alied health professionals who demonstrate excellence beyond that required of their substantive HP3 position and who add value to their profession and workplace.
The Scheme was first implemented in 2006, is conducted annually and is formally incorporated into the current ACT Public Service Health Directorate (Health Professionals) Enterprise Agreement 2011-2013-clause C5.8.
|Download:||2011-2013 Enterprise Agreement (PDF File - 1893k)|
Examples of excellence can include, but are not limited to, sustained activity in:
- Development, implementation and evaluation of significant and relevant project(s) or service change(s) that enhance the efficiency and and/or effectiveness of organisational service;
- Professional Leadership, through mentoring and fostering learning and development in others
- Formal Research, undertaking a significant research project which is relevant to their clients and workplace colleagues.
Review of the HP3 Upgrade Scheme
Clause C5.9 of the current Agreement states that the Scheme is due to be reviewed and as such a proposal to review the Scheme is being discussed within the framework of the current negotiations for the Health and Allied Professionals Agreement. A review would only proceed with the agreement of all parties and further information about any agreed review will be advised to all relevant parties within each Directorate.
Should a review be agreed to, relevant parties will include ACT Health, Calvary Health Care ACT, Community Services Directorate and Justice and Community Safety Directorate.
Will the HP3 Upgrade Scheme be run this year?
YES The HP3 Personal Upgrade Scheme for the Recognition of Excellence will be conducted both in 2014 and again in 2015. This will enable those staff members who have been planning an application with opportunity to develop and submit their application, either in the 2014 round or in the 2015 round.
Please note: The Scheme's continuance beyond 2015 may be subject to the outcome of any review of the Scheme that may be agreed to in the current enterprise agreement negotiations.
Applications for the 2014 round of the HP3 Personal Upgrade Scheme for the Recognition of Excellence will open on Monday 31st March 2014 and close Monday 30th June 2014.
See Secretariat contact details bottom of this section.
|Download:||2014 Scheme Overview (Microsoft Word XML Document - 194k)|
2014 Application Form (Microsoft Word Document - 327k)
2014 Guide for Referees and Referee Report Template (Microsoft Word XML Document - 23k)
Detailed Guide to Understanding the Assessment Criteria (Microsoft Word XML Document - 204k)
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply?
- You must be permanently appointed at the Health Professional Level 3, pay point 3, and
- Not be subject to current under-performance process, and
- Have served a minimum 12 months at HP3 pay point 3, or
- Have worked for 3 years as a HP3, or other jurisdictional equivalent.
I have been in my position for a long time, shouldn't I get the upgrade?
No. Length of service with the organisation is not part of the assessment criteria, it is only relevant for eligibility.
I am on an Special Employment Arrangement (SEA)-can I still apply for the HP3 Upgrade?
YES- The HP3 competency paypoints, HP3.4 and HP3.5, are adjusted to reflect the relevant SEA provision.
I am really good at my job, I am on higher duties - does that mean that I'm eligible?
This scheme is for those who extend beyond what is required of their position, and by doing so, contribute enhanced value and excellence to their profession and workplace. If you are wondering whether you are eligible, please review your Duty Statement and read this in conjunction with the Upgrade Assessment Criteria. If you believe your Duty Statement does not reflect your current role plaase discuss this with your manager.
- You should also have a conversation with your manager/supervisor to discuss your application.
- Talk to a potential referee.
- Talk to the Scheme Contact Officer.
How do I become an 'excellent' health professional?
- Think about what you do, or can do, to add value to your work area
- Have a look at the assessment criteria to see if you can provide a well documented and evidence based response.
- Discuss your prospective application with your supervisor/manager.
Contact Scheme Secretariat Sally Ranford, Office of the Chief Allied Health Officer on (02) 6205 2494 or Sally.Ranford@act.gov.au