Day Surgery and Extended Day Surgery
If you are coming to the Hospital for day surgery you will need:
- your Medicare card
- your private health fund details, if you have cover
- your health care card, if you have one
- any X-rays which are related to your surgery
- any medication, if you are taking any, in its original containers
On the day of your operation:
- You should not eat or drink after midnight on the day before surgery UNLESS you have been instructed otherwise. You may take your medications as normal, with sips of water. Do not chew gum on the day of your surgery.
- Be on time. We try hard to ensure that all appointments are run at the scheduled time, so please ensure that you arrive at the Hospital at the time you have been advised.
- Be aware that sometimes emergency cases may cause delays to the appointment schedules.
On your arrival at the Day Surgery unit, the staff will review your:
- medical history
- food and fluid intake prior to surgery
- post operative arrangements
You will then change into a hospital gown.
Leaving the hospital
If you are a day surgery patient, you will be observed after your surgery to ensure that you are ready to leave the Hospital. The usual time of discharge is two hours after surgery. However, you will not be rushed if you are not ready to leave.
It is important to ensure that you have someone to take you home and to stay with you after your surgery. This person must be a responsible adult.
Although you may feel well after your operation, the effects of the anaesthetic will persist for some time. You should go home from Hospital in either a private car or taxi. You should NOT drive a car on the day of your operation.
You should also NOT make any important decisions or operate any dangerous equipment the day of your operation.
You will be given personal post-operative instructions prior to your discharge.
We will phone you the day after your surgery to see how you are feeling and to answer any questions that you may have.
The Day Surgery Unit is located near the Intensive Care Unit, above the Emergency Department. Access to the Theatre Reception area can be gained via the entry into the Emergency Department, or by following the signage to the Theatre complex, located on Level 2 of building 12. Direct access to the Day Surgery Unit can be gained on level 2 directly opposite the lifts.