12B Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit
Rehabilitation is a patient centred inpatient rehabilitation service provided on Ward 12B at Canberra Hospital.
It is an approach, attitude and process involving the specialised techniques and skills of a multidisciplinary rehabilitation team.
The rehabilitation team is made up of Rehabilitation Specialists and junior medical officers, nursing and allied health staff including Clinical psychologists, Neuropsychologists, Dieticians, Occupational Therapists, Pharmacists, Physiotherapists, Social Workers and Speech Pathologists, and Allied Health Assistants.
An individual plan is developed for patients in the rehabilitation ward by all team members, in consultation with the patient, their family, carers and significant others.
Rehabilitation is a dynamic process in which patients are supported to achieve optimum physical, emotional, psychological, social and vocational potential in order to maintain dignity and self-respect in a life that is focussed on being as independent and self-fulfilling as possible.
Admission to the 12B ward is based on a person meeting the clinical criteria and pre-admission assessment. These include:
- Age 18 years and older.
- Medically stable.
- Level of nursing care required.
- Potential to improve with rehabilitation.
- Capacity to participate in a rehabilitation program with agreed rehabilitation goals and an agreed discharge plan.
- Referrals are assessed by a rehabilitation physician.
Referrals and bookings
- Referrals are accepted from inpatient services, general practitioners and other specialists to the rehabilitation medicine registrar or rehabilitation physician via the Canberra Hospital switchboard.
Information on the services provided by the rehabilitation ward may be obtained by contacting the Rehabilitation Care Coordinators on 02 6244 2780.
The 12B Rehabilitation ward is a 24 hour service with visiting hours between 6.00am and 9.00pm.
Allied Health staff work on the unit Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5pm (excluding public holidays).
Canberra Hospital switchboard: (02) 6244 2222.
The Rehabilitation Ward 12B is located at the Canberra Hospital, Building 3, Level 2.