Health Protection Service
Welcome to the Health Protection Service (HPS).
The HPS manages risks and implements strategies regarding the prevention of, and timely response to public health events.
- Environmental Health - Licenses, monitors and enforces public health regulations, including food safety, cooling towers and warm water systems; safety of recreation water and drinking water; and other factors that may impact upon public health. From 1 January 2007, tobacco and smoke free regulatory functions moved from the Health Protection Service to the Office of Regulatory Services.
- Communicable Disease Control - Monitors and reduces the spread of communicable diseases in the ACT, through communicable disease investigation, coordination of the ACT immunisation program and regulation of businesses that conduct skin penetration procedures.
- Radiation Safety provides for the protection of the health and safety of people and for the protection of property and the environment, from the harmful effects of radiation.
- Pharmaceutical Services promotes the safe use of medicines in the ACT community. Administers, monitors and conducts inspections to control medicines and poisons in the Territory.
- ACT Government Analytical Laboratory (ACTGAL) provides a broad range of analytical services for drugs and poisons in toxicological investigations, police seizures, monitoring of air quality, asbestos testing and microbiological testing of food and water.
After hours emergencies
For after hours emergencies phone (02) 6205 1700.
If you're a member of the general public or a health professional, visit the Alerts section of this website for the latest information published by the Health Protection Service on pressing health matters of importance to you.
The Health Protection Service produces numerous fact sheets on diseases and environmental health issues.
Phone: (02) 6205 1700
Fax: (02) 6205 1705
Howard Florey Centenary House
25 Mulley Street
Holder ACT 2611
Locked Bag 5005
Weston Creek ACT 2611