Dr Peggy Brown is the Health Directorate Director-General.
Peggy has been with the Health Directorate since 2004 where she was the Director of Mental Health and the Chief Psychiatrist. Peggy took on the role of Director-General in 2010.
Peggy graduated in Medicine in 1983 and completed her training in Psychiatry in 1990.
She has previously been the Director of Mental Health Queensland, as well as a National Health Service International Fellow in the United Kingdom.
She has held multiple roles on professional bodies including the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, the National Mental Health Working Group and a member of the Psychiatry Workforce Working Group of the Australian Medical Workforce Advisory Committee.
She is currently Chair of the Australian Health Minister’s Advisory Committee, a Director of the National E-Health Transition Authority and Chair of their Audit and Risk Management Committee.
- 2013 The Margaret Tobin Award – For the most significant contribution to administrative psychiatry in Australia and New Zealand over the preceding five years
- 2007 Australia Day Medallion (ACT Health)
- 2000 Queensland Health Gold Award for Excellence in Policy and Outcomes
- 2000 Telstra Queensland Business Woman of the Year Award
- 1991 Maddison Medal (presented by the RANZCP to the candidate who has performed most meritoriously throughout the College training and examination process)